Down to Earth Beef Shank (500g)
Why do we use this product?
- Premium-quality organic meat
- Animals are raised on grass and pasture and have never been fed antibiotics, growth-inducing hormones, GMO feed or animal by-products.
- Perfect cow breed for Philippine conditions - thriving here for nearly 500 years; adapted to our climate and love our local grass
- Raised using Biodynamic Agriculture - goes beyond organic farming. The most sustainable form of agriculture.
- Animals are treated humanely; they are never castrated, dehorned, caged, or confined, but freely graze outdoors
- Farmed organically in Mindanao
- The beef shank is the leg of the animal's thigh. It is tough and full of connective tissue.
How do we use this product?
Beef shanks can become extremely tender if it is cooked for a long time in moist heat. Braising or slow cooking is ideal for this meat cut.
Brown the edges
First, light a large skillet on the stovetop over medium heat. Drizzle a little olive oil or fat in the saucepan. Once the pan is hot, place your roast in the skillet for 1-2 minutes, or until the bottom starts to brown. Flip your roast and continue the process until all sides are brown.
Cook low and slow
Transfer your roast to a large casserole dish or Dutch oven. Add enough beef broth or water (or combination of the two) to cover half the roast. Place the lid on your dish, and place inside a preheated oven (your oven should be set to 250-300 F, depending upon the recipe).
Make it a complete meal
Halfway through your cooking time (typically two hours, at minimum) add chopped vegetables to dish for a complete meal. We like adding potatoes, celery, onions, parsley, a few sprigs of fresh thyme, and freshly ground black pepper to ours. Once added, place the lid back over your dish and return to the oven.
Size - 500g